[Catalyst] Fucking spam from nabble

Thomas L. Shinnick tshinnic at io.com
Fri Oct 26 13:45:35 GMT 2007

At 10:44 PM 10/25/2007, Matt S Trout wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 01:04:54AM +0100, Matt S Trout wrote:
> > Reported to nabble abuse. I'll be killing the post out the archives as
> > well.
>
>Reply:
>
>"Thanks for reporting this. This is a persistent spammer and he
>had
>faked many accounts to post. We keep deleting him and his accounts
>and
>his IP address but he seems to have controlled many zombie
>computers
>(infected by his viruses). We will continue monitor him closely.
>But
>thanks again!"
>
>Came within about 20 minutes as well.
>
>nabble++

Any chance from a guy named 'Rod'?  Google for nabble and you'll see
other problems also.  Nabble allows people to post through nabble
into maillists that nabble is subscribed to.  The email came from nabble:
         by kuber.nabble.com with esmtp (Exim 4.63)
         (envelope-from <bounces at nabble.com>) id 1Il2U3-00048s-G3
         for catalyst at lists.scsys.co.uk; Thu, 25 Oct 2007 06:10:47 -0700

The solution is simply to not accept postings from nabble to the
list.  Since they have a history of being abused, and not being able
to stop it, a read-only subscription would be required.