[Catalyst] Hypothetical Site and Scalability Planning

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 23:53:34 GMT 2007

On 10/29/07, Chris <hutchinson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:

> > For example how would you guys approach a project where you needed to
> create
> > a site like a myspace.com or similar with 0 current users but could
> surpass
> > 1 million users in 1 month then 100 million in 1 year.
>
> Here's how ebay handle these sort of numbers:
> http://www.infoq.com/interviews/dan-pritchett-ebay-architecture
>
> They do some unexpected (to me) things to manage their data, with no
> transactions and no referential integrity in the db in order to permit
> scale across multiple dbs.
>
> - Chris

Well, keep in mind that a site built 10 years ago and  implemented their
massive scale out plan back then is going to have wildly different
architectures than a site that is scaling out now.

Clustering and other technologies are available now that simply weren't in
existence back then.

-J

-- =

J. Shirley :: jshirley at gmail.com :: Killing two stones with one bird...