[Catalyst] Strange UTF16 warning

Brian Kirkbride brian.kirkbride at deeperbydesign.com
Wed Oct 31 00:57:32 GMT 2007

Hello All,

I'm seeing warnings of the type "UTF-16 surrogate 0xABCD" in my logs
that I'm not quite sure how to explain.  I am familiar with the nature
of the warning message, and I've tracked it to Catalyst::Engine->write
  -- but I'm not sure exactly what's triggering it.

The response body does contain the character sequences in question,
but the Content-Type is application/octet-stream (that's JPEG to you
AOL folks) and the UTF flag is off for the string.

There doesn't seem to be any corruption of the output, the JPEGs work.
  But I'm concerned that something is treating my output as UTF8 or
otherwise "stringy" when it shouldn't be.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Brian Kirkbride