[Catalyst] FastCGI config for standalone mode

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Sep 4 18:45:53 GMT 2007

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 11:42:51PM +0100, Will Hawes wrote:
> I've set up a Catalyst app with Apache2 and FastCGI using the config
> described under "Standalone server mode" at
> http://search.cpan.org/~jrockway/Catalyst-Manual-5.701002/lib/Catalyst/Manual/Cookbook.pod#Standalone_server_mode.
> Everything works fine when the FastCGI server is running via the helper
> script and I can use the app without problems.
>
> The docs state that when the backend FastCGI server is down, Apache will
> return a 502 error. The suggestion is to use an ErrorDocument directive to
> display a "down for maintenance" page when this is the case. However, Apache
> is actually returning a 500 error, not a 502. Apache's error log contains
> only the following:

This may be a stupid suggestion.

But wouldn't it be more useful to just trap 500s for a general "sorry" page
and have a static page httpd.conf you can use during maint?

It's not like your fcgi server should ever really be down except when
you're fucking with the backend DB or whatever

http://chainsawblues.vox.com/                    http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/