[Catalyst] TT and UNICODE: Garbled special characters

Stefan Kühn ducdebreme at early-dance.de
Wed Sep 5 12:16:41 GMT 2007

On 9/5/07, Daniel McBrearty <danielmcbrearty at gmail.com> wrote:
> how your editor is actually writing that u-with-umlaut into the text
> file will also be a fatcor (it might be entering ISO-8859-1 or UTF8).
>
> try using the appropriate \x{ ... } way of writing the char to see if
> this is your problem.

NOW i am trying the suggested way
* In controller test.pm > added the following (note the German Umlaut)
sub index : Private {
   my ( $self, $c ) = @_;
       $c->stash->{myname} = "\xFC"; # <--- German Umlaut
       $c->stash->{template} = 'test.tt2';
}

* made sure that encoding of controller "test.pm" and view template
"test.tt2" is *ASCII*

* starting server and going to url : __character is still garbled__

It seems to me that Template-Toolkit does no UTF-8-encoding of the
outputted variables.