[Catalyst] Some guidance needed please

Ian Docherty catalyst at iandocherty.com
Thu Sep 13 10:27:04 GMT 2007

Hi

My existing Catalyst application is being extended. I want to keep a
record of previous passwords used by a user to prevent them being re-used.

I have Model 'UsedPassword' to keep track of the previous 8 (say)
passwords as so-

package MyApp::Schema::UsedPassword;
use strict;
use base qw(DBIx::Class);

__PACKAGE__->load_components(qw(PK::Auto Core));
__PACKAGE__->table('used_password');
__PACKAGE__->add_columns(qw(id user password));
__PACKAGE__->set_primary_key('id');

So, if I want a method (create_limited) to create a new UsedPassword
object, that ensures no more that 8 (say) passwords are stored in the
database (against each User) where should it go?

Ideally (I think) I would like to do something like

   $c->model('DBIC::UsedPassword')->create_limited({
       user    => $user->id,
       password => $password,
   });

but i can't see how to add it to MyApp::Schema::UsedPassword (since
$c->model('DBIC::UsedPassword') returns a ResultSet not a
MyApp::Schema::UsedPassword)

Any other suggestions where to put it (polite one's only please)?

Regards
Ian