[Catalyst] Catalyst::Model::Search

Peter Karman peter at peknet.com
Fri Sep 21 16:00:14 GMT 2007

On 09/21/2007 09:39 AM, Jonathan Rockway wrote:
> Peter Karman wrote:
>> I see Catalyst::Model::Search on CPAN now. As the maintainer of
>> Catalyst::Model::SWISH, I'd love to get in on that namespace action. Is
>> Catalyst::Model::Search intentionally undocumented? Are there plans for a
>> formal API to which subclasses of Catalyst::Model::Search must adhere?
>>

> People can upload whatever they want to CPAN for any reason with any
> name :)  Please mail the maintainer directly and collaborate with him.
> If there's something seriously wrong with the module (no docs for an
> important namespace like "Search" is a good reason), please let the core
> team know on the dev list, and we'll do what we can to make sure the
> users of the module have the best experience possible.

The C::M::Search package is under Marcus Ramberg's acct, though the author
listed in the POD is Andy Grundman. Since both those gentlemen are core devs, I
figured this list was as good as any, especially since the resulting
conversation might be of interest to all Catalyst users. But I'll write to them
directly as you suggest.

> Collaboration is the key.  Modules that one guy uploads to the CPAN on a
> whim are rarely useful.

amen. That's why I asked. :)

> Finally, what do you envision for the ::Search namespace?  A common
> interface to various search mechanisms?

Exactly. My original question, though, was more along the lines of "what do the
*maintainers* envision for the namespace." 'Search' is (as you point out) an
important namespace, and the idea of a uniform API for writing models seems
like a Good Idea. The lack of documentation was what piqued me.

--
Peter Karman  .  peter at peknet.com  .  http://peknet.com/