[Catalyst] Re: XML MIME types

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Tue Sep 25 21:10:02 GMT 2007

* Ash Berlin <ash_cpan at firemirror.com> [2007-09-25 21:50]:
> A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> > * Ash Berlin <ash_cpan at firemirror.com> [2007-09-25 19:20]:
> >> Since its XUL and this is Firefox only, thats okay. But as a
> >> general point, ISTR application/xml is hideously broken with
> >> IE
> >
> > Do you remember anything about how that would be? I know of
> > no such problem.
>
> Its more when you try to serve XHTML1.1 properly with the
> appliction/xhtml+xml mime type. IE just does "What do you want
> to do with this xml file?"
>
> Sorry - mis-leading on my behalf.

That’s completely different. I know about that problem, but it
has nothing whatsoever to do with serving XML as application/xml
vs text/xml.

Again: to serve XML, the correct way to do it is to use
application/xml with no charset parameter in the HTTP header,
and with an XML preamble specifying the document encoding if
it’s anything other than UTF-8. (Of course you can include the
preamble for UTF-8 as well, but UTF-8 is the default anyway.)

Regards,