[Catalyst] Re: Subsessions?

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Sat Sep 29 14:18:23 GMT 2007

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 06:55:14 +0200, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Rainer Clasen <bj at zuto.de> [2007-09-27 12:25]:
> > After saving some data I want to redirect the user back to
> > where he came. So I'd like to keep track where the user came
> > from. As I expect the User to use several Browser windows,
> > neither Cookie based Sessions (incl. stash) work in all
> > scenarios. Right now I'm using the HTTP Referer, which I'm also
> > considering a bit clumsy.
>
> You’re asking the wrong question. Sessions are a bad idea in
> general; application state should live on the client, not the
> server. All state on the server should be resource state, ie it
> should have a URI of its own.

For what it's worth, I agree.

Sessions are like a half assed model with automagical fetching of
the resource to save some time. The moment the app becomes dependant
on this from a design POV things get nasty quite fast.

Think long and hard if your heavy use of the session is not better
done as some proper model.

Cheers,

--
  Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch at woobling.org>