[Catalyst] New credential -- Catalyst::Authentication::Credential::OpenID

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 04:44:20 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Ashley <apv at sedition.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody! [Well, mostly JayK and Tatsuhiko Miyagawa].
>
>  I think I have a working modernized (to the current bleeding edge of the
> Auth system) OpenID Credential package:
> Catalyst::Authentication::Credential::OpenID. Before I work on docs and
> trying to making it tested and bomb-proof I want to check with all y'all.
>
>  It's based on the second generation
> Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication::Credential::OpenID from Tatsuhiko Miyagawa
> and all the new stuff from Jay Kuri.
>
>  So instead of
>   $c->authenticate_openid()
>  you have realm based auth
>   $c->authenticate({ openid_identifier => $claimed_uri }, "openid")
>
>  I considered including the legacy parts of CPA::Credential::OpenID,
> specifically authenticate_openid(), but have come out against it as too
> confusing without a big enough user base to justify it. Contrary arguments
> are welcome.
>
>  The docs and error feedback will note that the store class Null (with user
> class User::Hash) is the only built-in supported one. I plan to add a
> namespace-preserving data slurp on the OpenID stuff (though I haven't looked
> at how/where this will work so it might be wishful thinking for now) so that
> arbitrary things like Simple Registration will be brought in as a
> sub-hash-ref instead of multiple key-val pairs at the top of the user
> object. Perhaps this is where a user class for OpenID should happen; it
> would follow the OpenId spec and refuse to find_user unless the required
> fields were present.
>
>  So, that would mean the package (with two classes, credential and user)
> would be released together under the otherwise empty namespace
> Catalyst::Authentication::OpenID(???).
>
>  Also, OpenID stuff can be difficult, to put it mildly, to debug so I'd like
> to put in lots of debug statements. What is (or which module represents) the
> current best practice for per module debug handling so it can be toggled (in
> the config?)?
>
>  Related:
>   http://openid.net/specs/openid-simple-registration-extension-1_0.html
>
>  Do the name change and general direction sound right?
>
>  -Ashley
>  --
>  PS: 바보 to that thread.

Hey Ashley,

This sounds like the right direction to me.  I'm eager to see the new
work, as well.  Do you have a dev package available?  Also, if you
need proper commit bits to the main Catalyst repos please let me know
and I'll get that sorted out for you.

I'm getting ready to start working on another OpenID consumer
application, and would like to use your work.

Thanks,
-Jay