[Catalyst] Memory leak under FastCGI?

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sun Apr 6 18:17:43 BST 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 03:32:12PM -0400, Matt Pitts wrote:
> I have not yet determined if the conversion from mod_fcgid to
> mod_fastcgi external is when the RAM usage started climbing - still
> awaiting system reports - but, there haven't been an substantial changes
> to the app since then that I would consider potential causes of a memory
> leak. I'm guessing it's been there for a while, but it's only now
> evident because the app instances were getting automatically recycled by
> mod_fcgid and now they're not.

Right, which is why I'm confused by your mentioning 'under FastCGI'.

The problem is almost certainly that your application has a memory leak in
it, not the engine side of things - you should try replaying a known set of
requests against the application and use things like Devel::Leak to
determine if you're leaking SVs.

> Is it generally an acceptable practice to just restart the external
> fastcgi process periodically to free its memory?

Yep. Other than really gross leaks it's often not worth the developer time
involved to track them down.