[Catalyst] Why does $c->stats require -Debug flag?

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon Apr 21 19:18:27 BST 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:29:56AM +0930, Jon Schutz wrote:
> I'm making a stand here for the rights of all developers!  Backward
> compatibility is a must for defined interfaces, but to carry that
> through to say that all design decisions turn into interfaces that must
> be preserved, even though not meant for external consumption,
> discourages innovation.  Many factors separate good projects from bad,
> and one is well defined interfaces!

And the tradition in perl is that if it doesn't start with an _, it's a
public interface.

DBIx::Class originally used an "if it's not documented it's not a public
interface" approach and I got massive negative feedback over that from
people who'd followed the perl convention and got bitten later.

If I had a choice, I'd follow "documentation means public, no docs means
use at your own risk". But there's an established standard, and that isn't
it, so we live with the world we have.

You're not making a stand for anything except your right to buck standard
perl practice and get away with it; I tried, failed, had unhappy users, and
learned. Welcome to the real world sucking. If it was perfect, we'd need a
lot less developers :)