[Catalyst] Catalyst and PayPal

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 19:46:50 BST 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 02:22:55PM +0200, Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:
>  > On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Kieren Diment <diment at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  On 21 Apr 2008, at 21:22, Angel Kolev wrote:
>  > >
>  > > > Hi fellas.
>  > > > I plan to include PayPal payment possibility in my cat website. Is there
>  > > any plugin/tool that works with the paypal developers toolkit
>  > > https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/pdn/software_dev_kit_php-outside
>  > > > Can anyone give me a direction
>  > > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >  http://search.cpan.org/~mock/Business-PayPal/  # simplest
>  > >  http://search.cpan.org/~scottw/Business-PayPal-API # newest and probably
>  > > most complete
>  > >  http://search.cpan.org/~sherzodr/Business-PayPal-IPN # most reviewed on
>  > > cpanratings.
>  > >
>  > >  Whichever one you go with a base controller (e.g.
>  > > Catalyst::Controller::Business::Paypal) onto cpan would be appreciated.
>  >
>  > I am not so sure if the, often repeated here, advice to build
>  > everything as a base controller is a good one.  Let's say you would
>  > like to use the PayPal thing and FormFu - and bang you are dealing
>  > with the tricky area of Multiple Inheritance.  'Composition over
>  > Inheritance' is popular in other circles.
>
>  This is why this sort of controller extension should probably be a role
>  using Moose rather than a base class.
>
>  However, role application and multiple inheritance -are- basically
>  isomorphic for a lot of purposes; the difference is it's much easier to
>  shoot yourself in the head with multiple inheritance.
>
>  Which is probably why it's not popular - people are scared of powerful tools
>  that can bite :)

Yeah - I was also thinking about Moose roles here.  But I think that
subject is actually a bit broader and I think that some of the modules
in the Catalyst namespace would be better as examples, perhaps with
tests ensuring that they work with the current Catalyst release and
other libraries, than as modules.  There is some point on the diagram
of the ratio between the complexity of the API and the code where it
starts to not make sense to release the code as a module.  When the
controls of the blackbox become more complicated as the gears inside
it then I would rather use the gears directly.

I don't want to discuss any particular module here - but I would like
to get consensus that there is such a point.

--
Zbigniew Lukasiak
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/