[Catalyst] Multi-language and REST

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Fri Apr 25 16:04:02 BST 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Ian Docherty wrote:

>> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/HTRQ_Headers.html#z12
>>
> Yes, I have done this previously, it is elegant, but not RESTful and does not
> make it easy for users to change their settings on a site-by-site basis
> dynamically, as you could if you provided a language selection box on each
> page.

Why do you say it's not RESTful?

I think it's very RESTful, but it depends on how you think about it. If
the language of the content is basically an issue of "formatting", then
switching language based on a header is perfect. The client provides
sufficient information to produce a correct response _on each request_ as
part of HTTP. This is basically the essence of REST.

OTOH, if you consider each language's content fundamentally separate
things, then each language should have its own set of URIs.

-dave

VegGuide.Org
Your guide to all that's veg