[Catalyst] Re: Why does $c->stats require -Debug flag?

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Fri Apr 25 16:36:00 BST 2008

* Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> [2008-04-25 17:05]:
> For example, not breaking people's code in a point release
> wherever possible even if their code was technically the wrong
> thing to do is just something you -do- if you're writing
> production quality libraries, to me. It never occurred to me
> you'd need to write it down for people to realise it was a good
> idea.

Most people don’t write libraries for other programmers to use,
they just write apps, so this isn’t necessarily so obvious to
them. Also, even then, there are different extents of not
breaking things and different ways of handling deprecation. If
you really never ever broke backcompat *at all*, f.ex., you could
never fix any bugs: *someone* might be relying on any one bug.

Regards,