[Catalyst] So, what do we want in the -next- book?

Dave Baker davebaker at benefitslink.com
Tue Apr 29 18:00:47 BST 2008

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 03:01:47AM -0500, Jonathan Rockway wrote:
[...]
> Anyway, I hate to break this to you... if you want to know every detail of
> how the code works, you have to read the code. Reading code is the most
> important skill a programmer can have, so I suggest biting the bullet,
> opening up your favorite code browser (ECB++), and perusing.

My two cents as a non-professional programmer ... I'd put myself into
the category of "Perl amateur enthusiast."

I have a commercial web site with a dedicated server. It uses Perl for
some maintenance and content generation. I want to Do It Right, so I've
been learning Catalyst and MVC during the past couple of months, in
order to replace my current CGI spaghetti code style. I'd love to create
a more database-driven site.

As an enthusiast, I'm happy to read all the manuals and get my hands
dirty with configuration and design. But getting under the hood with the
source code is more work than I want to do. I need a more efficient way
to learn What I Need to Know.

I have enjoyed the Catalyst book, although the publisher has been
unacceptably slow at publishing errata I've submitted to its web page,
so I'd like to see more like it.

Maybe the Perl amateur enthusiast doesn't have much a niche any more,
but that's another topic.

Tnx for listening,
Dave Baker