[Catalyst] [SOT] cat webmail app?

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 16:08:48 BST 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 8:28 PM, Robert Krimen <robertkrimen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Roderick A. Anderson <raanders at acm.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> J. Shirley wrote:
>>
>>> Then, just a simple adapter class to use that model will bind it into
>>> Catalyst and away you go with a webmail client.
>>
>> Yes!  I'll have to look at the PEP site again to see what has been done.
>>  The Mailing list is pretty low volume so I mostly just glance at the
>> messages.
>
> To take this idea further down the rabbit hole, you could build most of the
> interface with javascript and HTML (Jemplate, YUI, Dojo, jQuery, ...) and
> then have
> Catalyst provide a JSON API (View::JSON) layer between your adapter class
> and the javascript.
>
> Rob

JSON is just a wire format, if you want an API better to go with
something with some guidelines like REST or RPC (JSON-RPC is pretty
"fun").

Catalyst::Action::REST takes quite a bit of yak-shaving out of it.
There is also talk about XMPP/PubSub routing for RESTful webservices:
http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2008/public/schedule/detail/4359

May be worth a read if you want something extensible and scalable,
while still trying to do the right thing.

-J