[Catalyst] [SOT] cat webmail app?

Jose Luis Martinez jlmartinez-lists-catalyst at capside.com
Fri Aug 8 08:39:01 BST 2008

Roderick A. Anderson escribió:

> This looks a little more energetic than I had planned, at least
> initially.  I am not looking for an Outlook replacement plus I've never
> used Squirrelmail so I don't know what all it provides.

I'm not looking for having a full-blown Outlook either. I'm looking for
the base that will let you grow it into an Outlook via plugins. A
webmail only has to be able to recieve mail, send mail, and have an
address book to start out.

> That said, I'll give it a whirl.  I need to add that I have specific
> needs as far as IMAP and SMTP (outbound) handling goes.  Those include
> Postfix, Dovecot, and PostgreSQL.  So that will twist how I want to do
> things.

SMTP is pretty generic, so I don't think that there's anything special
on that part for supporting other MTAs. IMAP servers do have their
peculiarities, but I'm on you with first supporting Dovecot, although
I'd start out with making a Catalyst IMAP model (basically selecting the
IMAP class that best suites from CPAN, and then gluing into Cat). And
why support only Postgres when DBIx::Class does the deed.

I think that all the building blocks are there, just waiting for a
little glue. I've seen other webmail solutions code, and they all seem
to have grown quite organically. I think Cat will let us glue the
appropiate modules into a decently engineered solution.

> Jose, you still interested?

I'm still interested.

Matt S Trout wrote:
 > We'll happily host a list and svn for this alongside the main catalyst
 > stuff; I can also help you set up an IRC channel on irc.perl.org if you
 > want to at some point.

Please do so, Matt. That way we can get into discussion without
"bothering" the Catalyst list.

Jose Luis Martinez
jlmartinez at capside.com