[Catalyst] Jemplate and AJAX woes... [Bump -anyone??]

Ian Tegebo ian.tegebo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 20:45:24 BST 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Robert Krimen <robertkrimen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 2:39 PM, <kakimoto at tpg.com.au> wrote:
>>

>> 2) I have been looking (googling) for Jemplates and got no luck really.
>> Most of the AJAX tutes do not talk about Catalyst enough (what more of
>> Jemplates)...  Any good tutorials for Jemplates especially in terms of
>> what I want to achieve (as described above)?
>
> I would start out by setting up an API controller
> (MyApplication::Controller::API)
> which is a Catalyst::Controller::REST.
>
> Flesh out your API methods and have jQuery act as an intermediary between
> your API controller and Jemplate (using $.get, $.post, etc.)
I'm trying to get a general understanding of how javascript techniques
fit into Catalyst; I don't think I'm alone either.

After a friend had recommend jQuery, I've found I really like it but
had been under the impression that I wouldn't be able to use Jemplate
at the same time.  A second read of Rockway's Editable Addressbook in
chapter 7 of the Catalyst book leaves me wondering how TT, Jemplate,
and jQuery would best "get along".  Is it the case that
Catalyst::View::Jemplate exists to reduce HTML munging within
client-side javascript?

If so, then is it correct to think of jQuery, Jemplate, and the
Catalyst::Controller::REST interface as kind of a browser-side MVC?
I'm imagining the REST calls through jQuery as accessing the "model"
while qQuery serves as the controller via its selectors finally
rendering its "view" through Jemplate.

BTW, it appears Catalyst::View::Jemplate  broke after Jemplate >= 0.21
changed the behaviour of Jemplate::runtime_source_code (see RT 35609,
37813).  What versions are you running?

--
Ian Tegebo