[Catalyst] OT: Use the CPAN, Luke?

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Mon Dec 1 01:02:27 GMT 2008

Jonathan Rockway wrote:
> * On Sun, Nov 30 2008, Toby Corkindale wrote:
>> If the automated install fails, people are likely to say "bah, this
>> Perl thing sucks, let's go for that similar app written in
>> PHP/Java/Ruby instead - at least it's simple to install!"
>
> Why do you care about what other people do?  If these people can't even
> install a CPAN module, it's unlikely that they were going to become
> active contributors.

Because not everyone is a contributor. In fact, *most* people are not
contributors.
Contributors come from being users first.
If we lose the users, we will lose contributors in the long run, and
Perl will disappear.

>> PAR goes a little way to solving this, but then one needs to
>> distribute multiple versions for all the platforms you support, and
>> hope they have a decent PAR version too. (Again, Debian stable has
>> issues.)
>
> This says more about Debian than PAR.

I know :(
But sysadmins seem to love the bloody thing, no matter how ancient and
broken its so-called "stable" version is.

It needs a tagline, like:
"Debian - Stifling innovation since 1993"
(Although really, they were quite innovative at first, so that's mean of
me. I should point out that I understand that having a consistent,
static base is very important to a lot of people.)

Toby

--
I probably need a .sig that says my opinions are not those of my
employers :)