[Catalyst] Re: OT: Use the CPAN, Luke?

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:22:15 GMT 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 8:01 AM, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis at gmx.de> wrote:
> * Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> [2008-12-01 01:15]:
>> Why do you care about what other people do?
>
> When I write software I generally hope others will find it
> useful. (Sometimes I write it purely for my own itches, but then
> it tends to be half-arsed in all sorts of ways because it doesn't
> have to work for anything other than exactly the use cases I need
> it for.)
>
>> If these people can't even install a CPAN module, it's unlikely
>> that they were going to become active contributors.
>
> How many kernel drivers did you debug today?
>

> * Marcus Ramberg <marcus at nordaaker.com> [2008-12-01 10:10]:
>> Matt has spent a lot of energy to make sure our dependency
>> graph installs cleanly, for instance. And this issue has in
>> fact already been resolved by the Mouse people, hasn't it?
>
> It's true. But the fact that the Mouse people had to fix this is
> an indication that a pretty high level of ongoing effort is
> necessary, which I see as a symptom of there being a fundamental
> problem.
>
> That doesn't mean the alternative is better.
>
> I have no answers, unfortunately, only questions.

We just need to finish B::Perfect, then all our problems are solved.

Software always will have glitches.  Some people are tolerant, others
are not.  CPAN Testers is a great resource that helps identify
potential problems, and some people are proactive about fixing them.
I'm certainly not, though I should be.

-J