[Catalyst] Extra characters inserted into PDF output

Robin Berjon robin at berjon.com
Tue Dec 2 16:57:49 GMT 2008

On Dec 2, 2008, at 17:02 , Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> My PDF files are being uploaded and saved in the database apparently
> correctly. Then what seems to be happening is that somewhere in the
> binary stream of PDF, there is a (random) sequence of "<!", and
> somewhere later there is a ">". And something is inserting a "--"
> before the ">".
>
> My debugging statements show that Catalyst is outputting the correct
> size of the file, which suggests that the insertion is happening
> elsewhere.

The one thing you're not saying is under what Catalyst is running when
it's producing that. Are you running FastCGI? Mod_perl? Stand-alone
development server?

If it happens in all of those then the bug is probably in your code
(though after your debugging statements). If the insertion is indeed
happening outside that pretty much just leaves the Web server, or
perhaps a proxy. Wild stab in the dark: do you happen to have SSI
turned on?

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/