[Catalyst] installing catalyst on mac os

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Wed Dec 24 22:07:33 GMT 2008

On 24 Dec 2008, at 18:27, Ashley wrote:

> On Dec 24, 2008, at 2:08 AM, Tomas Doran wrote:
>> On 24 Dec 2008, at 00:25, Ashley wrote:
>>> I love OS X but the Perl it has historically shipped with is
>>> historically no so hot. I would strongly recommend you install
>>> the latest 5.8 (NOT over your system perl but beside it) or 5.10.
>>
>> I don't consider this good advice, especially for a beginner.
>
> He didn't say he was a Perl beginner. :)

Yeah, sorry - total misreading on my part there..

> He said he was new to Catalyst. The perl + libs OS X ships with
> have caused me many problems (nothing with Cat springs to mind,
> more C-based things like Storable) in the past from the public beta
> to 10.4.

I've never had an issue with Apple's perl myself. I wouldn't use it
for production (where I build my own from source), but I've always
found it fine for development..

It's not bad advice, generally - but readers could have got the
impression that Catalyst itself is unlikely to work on the perl which
Apple ship, which isn't true..

> This might be the problems with the temporarily out of sync content
> decoding layers in LWP v Mech. Which are all fixed in the newest
> versions. So installing LWP and WWW::Mechanize before Catalyst
> might be all that's needed.

I think that is just idle speculation...

I can confirm that right now for me, a freshly installed 5.8.8,
pulling everything (including latest WWW::Mech, and latest LWP) from
CPAN, WWW::Mech fails tests for me, as per:

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.cpan.testers/2008/12/msg2920088.html

Cheers
t0m