[Catalyst] PAR deployment w/ non-standard layout

Matthew Pitts mpitts at a3its.com
Tue Feb 5 09:52:08 GMT 2008

Due to our initial development effort being broken down b/t code and
design, our application has somewhat of a non-standard layout. I'm now
looking to use PAR to deploy the app, but I'm having some issues due to
our non-standard setup and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the
magic behind 'make catalyst_par'.

Does the built PAR contain all of the app's "root" content? I've built
some test PARs and I can't find where it has this content included.
However, when I run a test server via a PAR and browse the
the /tmp/par-... directory that contains the app I find the
inc/lib/MyApp/root directory that contains all such "rootness".

If the PAR doesn't get built with "root" inside, then does it copy
"root" into the /tmp/par-... directory when it is run via 'parl
myapp.par script/myapp_server.pl'?

Are there still issues with PAR's /tmp/par-... magic in a FCGI setup
with multiple "versions" of the same app?
Reference: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/catalyst/users/11148
I want to be able to run my UAT and PROD apps on the same system, but
obviously they would need different home directories.

Can I use myapp.par as a FCGI internal process in mod_fcgid? Would I
just replace my Apache directive references to 'script/myapp_fastcgi.pl'
with 'parl myapp.par script/myapp_fastcgi.pl'?

Are there any issues with using the following for mod_fcgid to support
my non-standard layout:
'CATALYST_HOME=/path/to/home parl myapp.par script/myapp_fastcgi.pl'?

TIA for any help.

Regards,
-matt pitts