[Catalyst] Config-only components

Todd Harris todd at tharris.org
Thu Feb 14 04:30:15 GMT 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 12:09 AM, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Castaway mentioned the idea of having components defined entirely by
> config entries, without the need for any actual class files on disk,
> and
> I was bored, so I went ahead and implemented it.
>
> For each config key matching ^([MVC]|Model|View|Controller):: it
> checks
> if the corresponding component already exists, and if it doesn't it
> creates it on the fly. The base class is set to
> ->config->{$component}->{base_class} if it exists, Catalyst::
> $component
> (with [MVC] expanded to the full component type) otherwise.
>
> Here's the patch against 5.70/trunk, feedback welcome.

<snip>

Looks interesting. I'm dynamically registering a large number of
actions based on configuration entries.  This is a great
simplification, but also seems like a bit of a hack.  I'm overriding
render_actions() to accomplish this.

I just took a cursory look at your patch.  It doesn't handle seeding
dynamically registered actions with coderefs, it's just intended to
create the appropriate components, correct?

Todd