[Catalyst] OT: Recommendations for big-time hosting

Brian Kirkbride brian.kirkbride at deeperbydesign.com
Sun Feb 24 21:29:49 GMT 2008

Hello all,

I'd be interested in hearing opinions from the Catalyst community on
the best managed hosting.  We run a Catalyst-based web service and are
currently on several self-managed dedicated hosts at SoftLayer.  I
can't praise SoftLayer enough, but in the interest of sanity we'd like
to move to a fully, Fully, *FULLY* managed setup so that we can focus
on our App instead of routine sysadmin stuff.

Searching the list archives for "hosting" comes up with a lot of links
to the best shared or VPS plans under $50/month.  We're talking more
like $1000+/month for our needs.  At this point, it's all about the
quality and reliability of service - not price.

So what's you recommendation for absolutely bullet-proof hosting that
let's you sleep at night?  I'm talking pro-active monitoring,
upgrades, patches, backups, redundancy setup, architecture planning
and growth.  Everything you might need.  Staff that understands why
you'd need Nginx or Lighttpd in front and what FastCGI is.  People
that can handle tuning Postgres instead of just slapping MySQL with a
stock config on your box.

Rackspace is immensely popular, but I'm worried that people are just
comparing them to crap hosts that put cPanel on a white box and call
that managed.  I trust you guys/gals and your experiences a great deal
more than a forum like WHT!

Retaining a 3rd-party, 24/7/365 management service is a possibility
too.  Any recommendations on those?  Matt, do you guys offer that sort
of setup at Shadowcat?

Thanks in advance,
Brian