[Catalyst] Google Summer of Code

Devin Austin devin.austin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 14:15:04 GMT 2008

Hi Kieren,

I've always been interested in doing some sort of open source deal for
social networks.

So yes, I'd be interested in applying for this :-)

-Devin

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 5:59 AM, Kieren Diment <diment at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, it's that time again.
>
> I had a thought about this.  I quite like some things about
> facebook.   It's a useful way for me to be able to communicate with
> people I've known since before I left school. But there are two
> things that really irritate me about it, these are:
>
> * Closed single platform with one vendor in control of my data
> * They make me visit their website, and have pretty piss poor support
> for rss.
>
> Sooo, I thought that it would be interesting to produce a Simple
> Social Network Comminication Protocol.  Essentially gluing existing
> stuff together like OpenID, FOAF, Various levels of access control,
> REST and the like to produce a distributed social networking system.
> That is a web or web-service server to provide a social network for a
> group, but that can also communicate with other SSNCP servers to
> provide a distributed social network system.
>
> So, I reckon this would be a two year process.  Year one would be
> writing the spec and getting the bits and pieces gathered together
> and functioning properly on the workshop floor.  Year two would
> involve lots of welding, duct tape and hot glue to get the package
> together.  In year one, the benifit for catalyst is that lots of our
> bits and pieces get a nice oil and polish.  In year two we get a
> product with a lot of potential to be influential on the applications
> scene (rather than the architecture scene).
>
> Any students out there who are up for applying for this?

> Searchable archive:

-- =

Devin Austin
Founder and Head Developer of CodedRight.net
http://www.codedright.net - get your web app Coded Right
http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?326568/hosting.html - Host with DreamHost!