[Catalyst] Upload progress meter

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Feb 29 19:30:38 GMT 2008

So I have a file upload page and an ajax-updated progress meter.  Not
unlike the UploadProgress plugin.

The progress meter works fine while transferring the file.

There's also some processing that happens to the file after the upload
is complete (and before returning the response) and during that
processing I update the JSON that is returned.

But, the progress meter isn't showing that post-upload status.
My guess is once the browser has sent all the file data that it stops
processing the ajax requests.  Can anyone confirm that's what is
happening?

Another question about upload progress meters.  A seemingly common way
to handle the upload progress is to submit the form in an iframe.  Are
there some browsers that require that?  That is, won't work with the
UploadProgress method of submitting the form and continuing to run the
ajax to check the progress?

I'm not a fan of the iframe method.  The examples I've tried online
are often poorly implemented.  A few that I tried failed to stop
making ajax requests after the file was uploaded.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org