[Catalyst] Re: Best Practices for wizards, steps?

Ashley Pond V apv at sedition.com
Tue Jan 1 20:03:17 GMT 2008

On Jan 1, 2008, at 9:40 AM, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Dennis Daupert <ddaupert at sbcglobal.net> [2008-01-01 17:45]:
>> I'm curious what people consider best practices for developing
>> widgets that involve a series of steps, funtions that involve
>> clicking thru a series of pages.
>
> Don’t break the web: make sure each step has its own URI,
> as opposed to using the session to store the user’s position.
> That’s all I can think of right now.

I just completed a submission process where the user does a regular
form and then is taken to a legal authorization doc (instead of
the regular old "I read and agree" checkbox). I was a little stumped
at first too but then I just implemented like its own page which
if arrived at without a doc, 404s or sends you to submit a doc and
if arrived at when authorization is already done, "flashes" you to
that effect on the view page.

It felt foreign to do it that way at first. Instead of session
and param juggling but once it was done, it was amazing how much
more straightforward it is. Just as Aristotleleleslsles[1] suggests.

With roles, chaining, captures, and flash messages you can make an
extremely convoluted logic tree pretty straightforward to code.

-Ashley
--
1 Oh, go read his post about A. Pagaltzis.