[Catalyst] Re: "Rails is a Ghetto"

Jay K jayk at ion0.com
Sat Jan 5 23:34:22 GMT 2008

Yeah.  I gotta say, while I agree with many of Zed's points about
rails and it's community... his method of delivery just makes me think
that however smart he might be, he's somewhat immature.

Before I found Catalyst a couple years back, I was looking for a new
system to work with.  Rails was at the top of the heap and generating
much buzz at the time, so I attempted it for a while, and I came to
many of the same conclusions he did.  After a couple of months I
abandoned it and went looking for a more mature / workable system and
a less fanboy / more mature community.  I found that in Catalyst.

It is a shame that it took him so long to reach the same conclusions.
I'm sad to see that he went through some tough times because of it,
but the level of venom just makes him look immature.  Rails was a bad
choice, yes, for many of the reasons he describes, yes.  But take some
responsibility for your decisions and make some better choices.

I'm glad that Catalyst has the community it has, and I don't welcome
the thought of Rails deserters joining Catalyst ranks with Fanboy
enthusiasm and a penchant for loosing venom towards those they can't
convince of their rightness.

:-/

Jay