[Catalyst] hostname

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Thu Jan 10 16:01:26 GMT 2008

"Carl Johnstone" <catalyst at fadetoblack.me.uk> wrote on 01/10/2008 09:44:30
AM:

> > from the context object, but is unavailable to MyApp.pm.  cookie_domain
>
> Both the context object and the hostname should be available to code
within
> MyApp.pm, but only if the code is running during a request.
>
> In any case I wouldn't point multiple domains at the same site, you're
> always best off choosing your preferred name and redirecting
alternatives.
> Otherwise you're going to have fun with users following links to
domain1.com
> and coming back via links to domain2.com - often within minutes of each
> other.

How would you propose handling an ASP like service that is branded (both
host whatever.companya.com ... othersuch.company99999.com, and templates)
for 10000 companies? 10000 instances of your app on different servers + all
of the cache and proxy services?  Or would you have companya.com redirect
to service.aspprovider.com and lose the ability (and pretty important
branding sometimes) to masquerade the service as if it were run by
companya?

I am just saying,  it is a completely valid and useful ability.

-Wade