[Catalyst] Serving html pages

Alejandro Imass alejandro.imass at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 23:08:14 GMT 2008

Usually you would try to serve your static content directly with your
Web Server and let only the dynamic part with Catalyst. For example
you could have a configuration in your apache vhost as such:

Suppose your app's name is vdc...

<VirtualHost *>

[...]

	# root of your app
        DocumentRoot /var/www/vdc/root

	# Aliases
        Alias /static /var/www/vdc/root/static
        Alias /other-static-files /var/vdc/whatever
	Alias / /var/www/vdc/script/vdc_cgi.pl

	# The Catalyst part is via mod_perl
	<Location />
		SetHandler modperl
		PerlResponseHandler vdc
	</Location>

	# The static content is served by apache directly
	<Location /static>
		SetHandler default-handler
	</Location>
	<Location /other-static-files>
		SetHandler default-handler
	</Location>

	# main app directory conf
        <Directory /var/www/vdc>
                DefaultLanguage es
                AddHandler cgi-script .pl
                AllowOverride None
                Options ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>

	# personal error file
        ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/vdc-error.log

	# personal log file
        LogLevel warn
        CustomLog /var/log/apache2/vdc-access.log combined
        ServerSignature On

</VirtualHost>