[Catalyst] Development environments and performance

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Wed Jan 16 15:44:06 GMT 2008

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Ian Docherty wrote:

> Is the problem likely to be the setup we are using? (we can't use mod-perl
> since I believe we can't run multiple versions of the same application)

I suspect the problem is most likely >1 developer using the same machine.
I can certainly imagine that 5 people each running separate copies of the
app could be performance intensive.

> Could we have problems in the performance of our application. Should we start
> thinking about profiling it to see where the time is going? (If so, are there
> any pointers on how best to do this?)

The first thing I'd suggest doing is set up a system to match your
intended production environment and just try out the app in it.
Specifically, browser it as a user and hit it with a tool like ab or some
other crawler to get a feel for its response times under different loads.

If it's fine that way then the problem is your development environment.
Really, I think you're _much_ better off giving each developer the most
powerful machine you can afford and having them do their dev work on it.
Developer time is usually more expensive than hardware, and sharing a
single machine seems like a way to spend more than you save in the long
run.

-dave