[Catalyst] Development environments and performance

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Wed Jan 16 17:51:53 GMT 2008

"John Goulah" <jgoulah at gmail.com> wrote on 01/16/2008 11:13:06 AM:

> Why wouldn't you just use the standalone server bundled with
> Catalyst?  Fcgi is great for production, but the processes are
> fairly thick memory wise, so having instances for each developer
> could be an issue.   We use the cat server for development and works
> fine for about 5-10 people at any given time on a modest box (4G ram)

Could be a massive assumption,  but usually when you go through the cost
(time, cap) of building out a dev server environment you want it to mirror
your production servers as much as possible so that you spend time
squishing bugs that may exist in your production environment -- not some
other different environment.  If they are using FCGI in prod it makes
perfect sense to do so in dev.  Why battle bugs that may be introduced on
the standalone server, or worse miss bugs that _do_ affect your production
environment because you are developing on a different environment?

-Wade