[Catalyst] Development environments and performance

Ian Docherty catalyst at iandocherty.com
Wed Jan 16 22:03:52 GMT 2008

John Goulah wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2008 5:05 AM, Ian Docherty <catalyst at iandocherty.com =

> <mailto:catalyst at iandocherty.com>> wrote:
>
>     I would just like to canvas opinion on a good development environment
>     and practices for Catalyst since we are starting to have some
>     performance issues.
>
>     <snip>
>

> Why wouldn't you just use the standalone server bundled with =

> Catalyst?  Fcgi is great for production, but the processes are fairly =

> thick memory wise, so having instances for each developer could be an =

> issue.   We use the cat server for development and works fine for =

> about 5-10 people at any given time on a modest box (4G ram)
Good point and my reasons are not clear now :) mainly because when I =

originally tried this I had conflicts between the URI served by apache =

and the one served by catalyst. Having tried this tonight I see where I =

was going wrong and I can easily set this up. So, I will try it this way =

for a few days to see how it goes. Thanks.

The other reason was that I eventually was hoping to serve several =

clients from the same machine, running multiple copies of the same =

application (but perhaps different versions) and knew I could not do =

this with Apache mod-perl but could do so with fast-cgi, hence my reason =

for going down that path.

I suppose however that from this experience it would not be a good idea =

to try and serve several fast-cgi Catalyst applications from the same =

server?

>     Could we have problems in the performance of our application.
>     Should we
>     start thinking about profiling it to see where the time is going? (If
>     so, are there any pointers on how best to do this?)
>

> As mentioned, the catalyst server gives you  a lot of good numbers to =

> measure performance.
>

> Good luck,
> John
Thanks, I will give that a try as well even if the server performance =

improves.