[Catalyst] Debugging Catalyst with Eclipse

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.com
Fri Jan 18 11:43:16 GMT 2008

>On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 11:11:13AM -0500, Troy Davis wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2008, at 10:37 AM, Nathan Waddell wrote:
> >I'm specifically looking for some tips on how to set up Eclipse (with
> >EPIC, of course) to debug Catalyst applications - either locally or
> >remotely. I'm ok with using the Catalyst built-in development server
> >for this, so no worries about Apache, etc.
>..

I was having a look at Devel::ebug yesterday, which has a sane split of
client and server components. If Eclipse/EPIC has remote debugger support
you could lash it up to that. There's already a Devel::ebug::HTTP Catalyst
app which uses AJAX to do something similar except of course you'd want to
single step and examine variables from Eclipse not a web page.

In the past, about 7 years ago I think, I tried using ActiveState from
Windows dev PC using remote access to the perl debugger running on Linux
(PERLDB_OPTSD="RemotePort=127.0.0.1:010 ReadLine=0" perl -d test.pl etc.)
It was too much hassle to use and too slow for the edit/test cycle (I needed
to debug the web apps under Linux) so I gave up and stuck with the command
line debugger.
The most useful thing I find with it in Catalyst is using 'm' on an object
to see all the object methods it supports.

Regards, Peter
http://perl.dragonstaff.co.uk