[Catalyst] Debugging Catalyst with Eclipse

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.com
Fri Jan 18 16:38:29 GMT 2008

-----Original Message-----

Hi Nathan. Hooking Eclipse + EPIC to Devel::ebug is a separate issue from
using Catalyst. I'd suggest aiming first to be able to remotely debug a
"hello world!" program.

Catalyst has a lot of debugging stuff built in, script/myapp_test.pl front
end, Test::WWW::Mechanize wrapper, mock objects, fake requests and so on,
which is where Matt's offer to help might come in handy if you want to add
some Catalyst-specific goodies to the Eclipse front end that make use of its
internals.

Finally, to debug mod_perl problems (the few that you can't fix with
log4perl prints, Mech tests and so on), it would be handy to have a front
end option to invoke a debug Apache. You can do this with something like
"httpd -f myhttpdebug.conf -X -DPERLDB" and use Apache::DB ins the .conf
file. More pointers here
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/02/09/debug_mod_perl.html?page=2

Regards, Peter
http://perl.dragonstaff.co.uk