[Catalyst] Less useless debugging output would be good

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Mon Jan 21 04:25:42 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 04:00 +0000, Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 10:36:41AM -0800, Ashley wrote:
> > On Jan 19, 2008, at 11:45 PM, Jonathan Rockway wrote:
> > >Someone should submit a patch to make debug settable in the Catalyst
> > >configuration (and off by default).  Then you can doc-patch that.
> >
> > I was actually wishing for this last week but don't have the tuits.
> >
> > Maybe everyone (well, you core folk) should agree on precedence
> > before someone tries to do it.
>
> THis is formbuilder-specific so nothing to do with Cat core at all.

There is a wider issue, though.  It seems people use the word "debug" to
mean two things.  One is "debug for the user of the module" and the
other is "debug for the developer of the module".  In the case of
MYAPP_DEBUG=1, the debugging information is useful to the user.  Every
line helps them understand the workings of their app better.  In the
case of FormBuilder, the debug information is pure noise, useful mainly
for someone hacking on FormBuilder.  This is fine and everything, but we
should treat MYAPP_DEBUG and $c->log as debugging for user stuff, not
developer stuff.

I'd like people to start making both configurable per-module.  Sometimes
I want the main Catalyst debugging information, but not the 1500 lines
of how Authorization::ACL is matching.  When the ACL goes wrong, though,
I *do* want that information.  (Same for FormBuilder, and any other
module that spews like these two :)

Basically what I'm saying is that I want more configurability and less
useless output by default.  I try to do this for my modules, so please
try and do it for yours.  If you need any help, I am around on IRC for
the purpose of helping :)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway