[Catalyst] Catalyst test server response times.

Ian Docherty catalyst at iandocherty.com
Wed Jan 30 10:41:35 GMT 2008

Ash Berlin wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2008, at 09:51, Andrew Payne wrote:
>
>> On Jan 30, 2008 9:14 AM, Ian Docherty <catalyst at iandocherty.com> wrote:
>>> It is frequently (but not always) taking 20 seconds or so to display a
>>> page in my browser
>>
>> The only times I've had this happen, it's been DNS issues -- in my
>> case, dhcpd putting a duff entry in resolv.conf
>>
>> YMMV, but worth checking.
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Also possible is that the Catalyst test server is trying to lookup
> your reverse DNS. Are you running with or with out debug enabled on
> the builtin server?
I have also tried running a Catalyst app from another server and it does
not have the same delay.

I am running with debug enabled. (what difference will that make to my
issue?)

I have also tried it with the IP address in the URL so that DNS is not
(should not be ?) used.
hang on... 'reverse' DNS?

YUP. turning debug mode off has a *big* difference.
so, what is this reverse DNS thingy doing and how can I turn it off but
leave the other debug on?