[Catalyst] Catalyst test server response times.

Ian Docherty catalyst at iandocherty.com
Wed Jan 30 12:39:04 GMT 2008

Peter Edwards wrote:
>>> On Jan 30, 2008 9:14 AM, Ian Docherty <catalyst at iandocherty.com> wrote:
>>>       =

>>> Andrew wrote:
>>> The only times I've had this happen, it's been DNS issues -- in my
>>> case, dhcpd putting a duff entry in resolv.conf
>>>
>>> YMMV, but worth checking.
>>>       =

>> YUP. turning debug mode off has a *big* difference.
>> so, what is this reverse DNS thingy doing and how can I turn it off but =

>> leave the other debug on?
>>     =

> Say your browser PC address is 192.168.1.2
> Try typing on your Linux server
> $ host 192.168.1.2
> and see how long it takes to resolve.
>
> If it's not almost instant, look at /etc/resolv.conf. If you're using DHC=
P,
> that may put an incorrect nameserver entry in there.
> For example, my router adds itself (192.168.1.1) as the first nameserver
> although it will time out trying to resolve 192.168.1.2.
>
> When that happens, the test server Catalyst::Engine::HTTP::_socket_data()
> will wait to time out in the call to gethostbyaddr() while serving static
> files.
>
> Try removing any incorrect entries from /etc/resolv.conf so that the 'hos=
t'
> command works quickly and it should be okay.
> Unfortunately, every DHCP refresh will recreate the file so do "man
> dhclient-script" and look at making an /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks to rewrite
> the resolv.conf it creates.
>   =

doing a 'host' command on an IP address works instantly and the contents =

of the /etc/resolv.conf file
look to be correct.

Could it be a problem with specific IP addresses rather than with the =

nameservers? (I can't cause
a problem manually with the IP addresses I know the Catalyst app is run =

from).