[Catalyst] Catalyst test server response times.

Jason Kohles email at jasonkohles.com
Wed Jan 30 15:49:17 GMT 2008

On Jan 30, 2008, at 10:23 AM, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> Ian Docherty wrote:
>> I have moved (back) to using the built in Catalyst server for
>> testing purposes.
>> It is frequently (but not always) taking 20 seconds or so to
>> display a page in my browser
>> even though the timings reported by the Catalyst server are about
>> 0.2 sec. so I know that
>> it is not the Catalyst app that is causing the delay.
>
> Having read the other postings on this I wonder if you have a large-
> ish css or Javascript file being loaded.  I've noticed a bit of a
> delay when I was trying the Ext2.js examples from the Ext2 site.

This delay is related more to the complexity of the javascript than
it's size.  It's essentially the compile-time penalty of the library
in use, ExtJS is one of the bigger ones that I've noticed it on, it
can take quite a while for it get loaded/decompressed/setup and ready
to go.  It's much faster when using a release version rather than a
testing version, and there are tools that will let you build custom
ExtJS versions with just the features you are actually using included,
so you don't have to wait for initialization for features you aren't
using.

--
Jason Kohles, RHCA RHCDS RHCE
email at jasonkohles.com - http://www.jasonkohles.com/