[Catalyst] Debugging Auth code

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 17:05:19 BST 2008

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 7:01 AM, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum
<bg271828 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im trying to convert a legacy program over to Catalyst, and in the process
> have
> tried to use the new Auth framework that i havent used before. Im having
> some
> problems that i cant debug, though, even though it looks like im doing
> things right.
>
> I got my setup from the docs and Tutorial. In my base class i use
> Authentication,
> Session Session::Store::DBIC, and Session::State::Cookie. My config is:
>
>  __PACKAGE__->config->{'Plugin::Authentication'} = {
>      default_realm => 'dbic',
>      realms => {
>      dbic => {
>          credential => {
>          class => 'Password',
>          password_type => 'clear'
>          },
>          store => {
>          class => 'DBIx::Class',
>          user_class => 'MyDB::User'
>          }
>      }
>      }
>  };
>
> (By the way i dont really know what 'realms' does, as im not using them now,
> but
> i thought that i can just use anything as long as im not using it directly.)
>
> Then my login routine includes:
>
>  my $username = $c->request->params->{username} || "";
>   my $password = $c->request->params->{password} || "";
>
>   # If the username and password values were found in form
>   if ($username && $password) {
>       $c->log->debug("we have a username and pw");
>       $c->log->debug("username is >$username<, password is >$password<");
>     # Attempt to log the user in
>     if ($c->authenticate({ login => $username,
>                password => $password })) {
> # ...
>
> (The name of my "username" field in the underlying table is "login" for
> legacy
> reasons. But i thought thta using "login => $username" would address this;
> login is the right column in the table itself.)
>
> When i run DBIC_TRACE, the SQL that's executed _does_ return the user object
> associated with this username and password combo. However, when i run this,
> my log shows:
>
> [debug] Path is "login"
> [debug] we have a username and pw
> [debug] username is >testuser<, password is >passw0rd<
> [debug] Unable to locate user matching user info provided
>
> Since the SQL is returning the right thing, and everything else looks OK, i
> cant
> tell why this is failing. Can someone give me some advice on debugging this?
>
> Thanks!

Hi Jennifer,

Looks like you are missing the "password_field" config parameter:
http://search.cpan.org/~jayk/Catalyst-Plugin-Authentication-0.10006/lib/Catalyst/Authentication/Credential/Password.pm#CONFIGURATION

Also, you need to have the "id_field" set in your store configuration:
http://search.cpan.org/~jayk/Catalyst-Authentication-Store-DBIx-Class-0.104/lib/Catalyst/Authentication/Store/DBIx/Class.pm#CONFIGURATION

That would be the name of your username field in your MyDB::User class.

If you configure those items, you should be up and running.
Everything else looks fine.

-J