[Catalyst] Logo collision?

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Mon Jul 7 02:17:58 BST 2008

On Jul 6, 2008, at 12:47 PM, Thomas L. Shinnick wrote:

> Hope this hasn't been discussed before, the similarities of the
> Catalyst logo to others.  Look at
>     http://www.geektools.com/ about two-thirds down the page,
> or more specifically
>     http://www.geektools.com/images/udnsreseller.gif

That's one of the older UltraDNS logos, dating from  quite some years
ago (I have a nice polo shirt with it embroidered on from when I used
to work there :) ). I don't recall it being used as a "powered by"
logo, but A) it's been a long time and B) geektools and ultradns were
much the same people a little before that point, and there's still a
fair connection between them, so it may have been a one-off.

> Strangely, I haven't yet found this logo at the Neustar UltraDNS site
>     http://www.ultradns.com/
>
> I suppose everyone has a "powered by ..." icon, and limited
> imagination for such pictures for network thingies, but this looks
> remarkably like the Catalyst icon file that I've got, dated
> 2005/07/31.
> I jus' worrying...

I think they've rebranded at least once since then, around the time
they were bought out by Neustar in late 2006.

Cheers,
   Steve