[Catalyst] auto re-load of application yaml config file?

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Thu Jul 24 03:33:01 BST 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:26:18PM +0100, Pedro Melo wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2008, at 4:32 AM, Matt S Trout wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:53:10PM +0200, Marc Sebastian Pelzer wrote:
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I'm running a Catalyst application under mod_perl and wonder if there
> >>is a Plugin available that detects changes on the main
> >>application .yml config file and does a automatic re-load if needed?
> >>It not - what would be the most elegant (and less I/O intensive) way
> >>of doing this? Would it be enough to do a
> >>
> >>__PACKAGE__->config( 'Plugin::ConfigLoader' => { file =>
> >>'my_config.yml' } );
> >>in my Root controller when I detect a change?
> >
> >Nope. apache2ctl restart, minimum.
> >
> >You may find external FastCGI and a handler swap is a better approach.
>
> Or mod_perl backends (old and new) and a decent load balancer like
> perlbal.

Same approach. Different technologies.

I find getting two FastCGI handlers running much less of a pain in the
arse than getting two mod_perl instances running - the distro stuff tends
to get in the way and even once I've beaten it out of the way it's much
more work than FCGI.

But sure, either is good. Choose your poison according to your own tastes :)