[Catalyst] Squatting::On::Catalyst

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon Jul 28 22:40:19 BST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 08:27:27AM -0700, John Beppu wrote:
> *Squatting::On::Catalyst*
>
> Squatting is a web microframework for Perl that's based on Camping from the
> Ruby world.  During the transition from Ruby to Perl, Squatting gained some
> mutant powers which is why I'm writing to you today.
>
> One of Squatting's mutant powers is its ability to embed itself into other
> frameworks (like Catalyst).  You can take whole Squatting apps, and embed
> them into your existing web application with just a few lines of glue code.
> Allow me to demonstrate.

Assuming Squatting supports CGI, Catalyst::Controlle::WrapCGI enabled this
already. Your code is almost certainly more efficient though.

> *What Are The Implications of This?*
>
> Right now, anyone who is developing a web app with Catalyst can install
> Pod::Server from CPAN and embed it directly into their web app.  However,
> this is just the beginning.
>
> Imagine if you could install a blog, a wiki, a forum, or a store just as
> easily.

Yeah, we'll be doing that for arbitrary Catalyst components for 5.80,
I hope. This is still really cool, mind.

In the meantime, please have a look at the HTTP::Engine project so that
you can share HTTP code with other frameworks, and consider joining the
catalyst-dev list since we're planning to kick off a project to see about
sharing dispatchers with other projects as well.