[Catalyst] Strange Problem: gb2312 showed incorrect in mod_perl, but correct in developer server

cui robin cuiyuming at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 05:47:24 BST 2008

2008/6/2 J. Shirley <jshirley at gmail.com>:

> 2008/6/1 cui robin <cuiyuming at gmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When a page loaded in firefox,  then it will send a ajax request to get
> data
> > in json format.
> >
> > Some gb2312 words is in the json data.
> >
> > When catalyst is started by /home/robin/CBS/script/cbs_server.pl, the
> data
> > got by client is same as the data i print on the screen by
> $c->log->debug().
> > It's showed corrected in firefox client or ie client.
> >
> > But when catalyst is running by apache mod_perl, the data got by client
> is
> > different from the data i print on the screen by $c->log->debug().It's
> > showed incorrected.
> >
> > A chinese world in gb2312 charset have 2 bytes.  what I found in the
> client
> > is that:
> >
> > 2 bytes of a chinese word was splited, and a octal byte \303 or \302 was
> > added before every byte. So showed incorrect in client.
> >
> > Anyone meet the same problem when using mod_perl?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Robincui
> >

> How are you generating the JSON?  We had a similar circumstance
> (although our production server would also exhibit failures under the
> built-in server) because of varying JSON.pm versions.
>
> Make sure you use a JSON module that properly understands unicode.  I
> try to use Catalyst::View::JSON wherever possibly, and if it isn't
> then JSON::XS::encode_json( $perlref ) works the most reliably.
>
> -J

I use standard JSON module [use JSON;] from cpan,version is 2.07. code like
below:
    my $json = new JSON;
    $json->canonical(1);
    my $response = $json->encode($var);

But i think the problem is nothing to do with JSON,  for some points like
below:
1. The problem will not occur when I use catalyst's built-in server
2. After JSON module convert a hash to JSON data, I use $c->log->debug
output to screen, I saw it was correct.

I think the problem occur when apache (mod_perl) send data to client. the
data was modified. But I don't kown why?
Some code like below:

    my $jsResponse = $ajaxRequest->{response} . "\n$callback_function";
    $c->log->debug("JS Response:\n$jsResponse"); # the showed on the screen
is correct;
    $c->response->content_type('text/html; charset=GB2312');
    $c->response->body($jsResponse);

The mod_perl,apache,perl version like below:
[Mon Jun 02 12:28:31 2008] [notice] Apache/2.0.55 (Unix) PHP/5.2.3
mod_perl/2.0.3 Perl/v5.8.8 configured -- resuming normal operations

Any other solution?