[Catalyst] script/myapp_fastcgi.pl -d vs. nohup script/myapp_fasctgi.pl &

Dan Dascalescu ddascalescu+catalyst at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 10:22:05 BST 2008

What is the difference between launching `script/myapp_fastcgi.pl
-daemon` and running `nohup script/myapp_fastcgi.pl &' ?

I want to be able to run fastcgi.pl -l in the background, with
debugging enabled, and log its STDERR. I tried

script/myapp_fastcgi.pl -l 127.0.0.1:55900 -d 2>>myapp.stderr

but only the initial startup screen ended up in myapp.stderr. No debug
information about requests was written to the file.

Running the same application like this:

script/myapp_fastcgi.pl -l 127.0.0.1:55900 2>>myapp.stderr &

Works as expected. Even after I log out (without running nohup), the
app correctly logs requests to myapp.stderr. I'm writing a tutorial on
Catalyst deployment with lighttpd and fastcgi at
http://catwiki.toeat.com/gettingstarted/howtos/deploy/lighttpd_fastcgi
(please feel free to amend) and want to get a good understanding of
this issue.

Thanks,
Dan