[Catalyst] Using URIs for my app in another program

Byron Young Byron.Young at riverbed.com
Sat Jun 7 01:17:24 BST 2008

J. Shirley wrote on 2008-05-01:
> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Byron Young
> <Byron.Young at riverbed.com> wrote:
>>  Hey J.  Yes, that could work too, but it requires making a call
> to the catalyst app, which means at least one hard-coded url will
> be in the daemon.  I considered having a page on my app that would
> just serve up a requested url, which is similar to your proposal,
> but I'd rather avoid hard-coding any urls in the daemon.
>>
>>  Thanks for the suggestion.
>

> Not necessarily hard-coded; you can store that either A) in the daemon
> config, B) with the jobs that are sent in or C) in the DB somewhere.

Finally getting around to trying this (catalyst app generates and stores URLs in a database that a separate daemon program later includes in email reports).  I would like my app to be able to generate the URLs when it start up, but as pointed out I need an HTTP request to be able to generate the URL.

Is there any way to fake a request when my app starts?  It seems like a bit of a catch-22 -- I need to know a URL in order to fake the request, but in order to generate the URL I need to have a request...

Unfortunately, I can't rely on sending the URL in with the jobs that are scheduled from the web app, because there is a script that can schedule jobs as well that knows nothing of the catalyst app.

Am I doomed to storing the URL for my 'populate database with urls' action in a config file and updating it by hand when I move the web app?

Thanks
Byron