[Catalyst] Catalyst site design drafts feedback thread

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Jun 11 21:21:51 BST 2008

Matt S Trout wrote:
> Ok, here's how this is going to work:
>
> We're going to have one round of feedback, I'll give it a week or two or
> until this thread stops getting new posts.
>
> The designs are numbered so we have a simple way to refer to them; I've
> presented them in alphabetical order by creator surname.
>
> Feedback should be *look and feel* - the actual content will obviously
> be determined as/when we do the actual implementation so my previous rule
> of "content suggestions in a separate thread and you have to be willing
> to implement the suggestion" applies.
>
> Where possible, please reply with your feedback directly to this post
> - while you may want to elaborate on what somebody else has said, I want
> -your- comments specifically because if all feedback stands alone it'll
> be easier to marshal for the designers.
>
> Once we've got feedback in, everybody will go away and revise their
> designs (or not, if they think you're all wrong :) and then we'll do
> consultation on the final drafts.
>
> Here are the designs I've been given:
>
> Simon Elliott:
>
> (1) http://www.browsing.co.uk/cat

Nice but too now.  And I am guilty of doing the same type of layouts.

> Mark Keating:
>
> (2) http://agaton.scsys.co.uk/~matthewt/catsite/cat_mock_web_001.png

Yes the crop circle is an eye/mind catcher but does it say the wrong
thing about Catalyst?

> Scott Ladzinski:
>
> (3) http://ion0.com/hx/cat/new-version-2-26.jpg

I like the color scheme, but

> (4) http://ion0.com/hx/cat/catalystSiteDesign3.jpg

the way the area under the navigation bar pops out is better.

> Mike Whitaker:
>
> (5) http://agaton.scsys.co.uk/~matthewt/catsite/catsite-Penfold.pdf

Same as 1.  Maybe a little warm-and-fuzzy coloring (and same for 1
above) would make it ... warmer.  :-)

> Gentlement, start your feedback engines.

Thank goodness they don't cost $US 4.00+ to run per mile.

Rod