[Catalyst] Catalyst site design drafts feedback thread

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Wed Jun 11 21:54:18 BST 2008

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008, Matt S Trout wrote:

> Simon Elliott:
>
> (1) http://www.browsing.co.uk/cat

Overall my favorite. The white text against the bottom of the grey
gradient starts to fade, but I'm sure that's easily fixed. I wouldn't mind
making all the non-tab text a little larger, but maybe my eyes are a
little older than our target audience ;)

> Mark Keating:
>
> (2) http://agaton.scsys.co.uk/~matthewt/catsite/cat_mock_web_001.png

The crop circle is great. The colors, particularly in the tabs up top,
make the text hard to read (not enough contrast). Also, all the fonts seem
way too small, but maybe that's because this is a screenshot, and it might
work better in the real version.

It's also a little tough to evaluate, because it's harder to imagine a non
front page. Presumably we wouldn't want that giant graphic on every page.

> Scott Ladzinski:
>
> (3) http://ion0.com/hx/cat/new-version-2-26.jpg

I like the basic idea, I'd like to see it with some real text. It's hard
to imagine it being better than #1 though.

> (4) http://ion0.com/hx/cat/catalystSiteDesign3.jpg

The colors are very jarring (lilac and blue in particular). Too many
colors, not enough white. Mostly white backgrounds are good ;)

> Mike Whitaker:
>
> (5) http://agaton.scsys.co.uk/~matthewt/catsite/catsite-Penfold.pdf

I like the simplicity. It's very similar to #1 though, and I think #1 has
a bit more panache.

-dave

VegGuide.Org
Your guide to all that's veg